Rome, Italy—On the occasion of the UN International Day of Families, UPF-Italy held a conference in the Palazzo San Macuto of the Italian Parliament.
The conference, titled "Family: Education and Well-being," was held on May 17, 2017, by UPF-Italy together with the Italian chapters of the affiliated organizations International Association of Parliamentarians for Peace (IAPP), Women’s Federation for World Peace (WFWP) and Family Federation for World Peace and Unification (FFWPU).
Several parliamentarians and senators sponsored the event and gave a speech during the conference: Hon. Eleonora Bechis, Hon. Robert Rampi, Hon. Umberto D'Ottavio, Hon. Elena Centemero, and Sen. Domenico Scilipoti. The hall was filled with presidents of NGOs, politicians, and heads of associations devoted to the family and children.
Other speakers were:
- Marta Rodriguez, the director of the Institute for Advanced Studies on Women and head of the Vatican Committee on the Family, who spoke about the family and sustainable development
- Raffaella Saso, representing EURISPES, a research institute, reporting about the situation of the family in Italian society
- Raffaele Cavaliere, speaking on the problems with gender ideology
- Massimo Marzi, author of “Benegiornale,” a radio and television news production that focuses on good news to counter the spread of pessimism, hopelessness and mistrust by the normal money-centered media
- Chiara Gambino, who spoke on the parental role in the modern society
- Massimo Rosselli Del Turco, speaking about the problem of children in broken families and the inadequacy of social support from institutions.
Maria Gabriella Mieli of WFWP-Italy was the emcee for the morning session. She introduced the UN International Day of Families and explained its meaning. The three speakers representing UPF and its affiliated organizations were warmly appreciated by the conference participants:
- Carlo Zonato, president of UPF-Italy, introduced the UPF founders’ view on the family.
- Elisabetta Nistri, president of WFWP-Italy, explained about the necessity of a new proper balance in society between man and woman, centered on the husband and wife relationship in the family. She gave an introduction to UPF co-founder Dr. Hak Ja Han Moon, touching the heart of all the audience.
- Giuseppe Calì, president of FFWPU-Italy, which recently registered as a foundation, gave the final speech, explaining how the UPF founders are guiding the spiritual and cultural revolution in the world based on true love, interreligious dialogue, true family values, and living for the sake of others. He called on all the audience to mobilize to create together a network that can build up a new society.
A discussion followed the afternoon session, with many prominent participants giving their comments and asking questions of the speakers. Among them were Dr. Ziva Fischer Modiano, the president of the Association of Italian Jewish Women, one of the biggest women’s organizations in the world, and Dr. Gemma Guerrini, an important representative of the Rome City Hall.
Moderating the afternoon session was Dr. Diego Righini, a television presenter, who had the conference streamed online and broadcast on the national TV channel "ONE TV."
We realized that the family issue is a real frontline nowadays. Especially the politicians in the audience were quite divided on this issue, with many righteous people standing up for the traditional view of the family.
Six Ambassador for Peace certificates were given at the end.
After the program ended, many participants requested more information about our vision and said they want to cooperate with us. They recognized that we have much to offer to society and much hope to give to people and organizations.